Friday, January 9, 2015

Wa'apa Build - Part 37 (leeboard and rudder part 1)

The last big piece of the construction puzzle...the leeboard and rudder. I'm using the foil shape that Michael Storer specifies on his boats which requires me to create a very large blank exactly 22mm thick for shaping. With only my circular saw jig for ripping and hand planes for the dimensioning...I've been somewhat dreading this task knowing it will be a lot of labor and needs to be accurate. 

Luckily it seems I have gotten fairly good at dimensioning stock with hand tools, having done a fair amount of it now. Certainly saves a trip to the gym...

First step, prep the boards. Planing them smooth, mostly removing machine marks for good gluing surface.

And then ripping them all down to this. I need 22mm final thickness, but ripped staves to 30mm to give myself lots of wiggle room just in case things don't go smoothly at first. After arranging the staves how I thought best, was glued up to form the blank.

Once glue is cured out come the hand planes.

One face flattened, edges jointed, marking my 22mm thickness.

Then lots of work with and the hand planes and several piles of shavings later..

And all finished up at 22mm. A major workout but it worked out perfectly without any drama. Just keep the planes sharp and try to remember you (mostly) enjoy this..and at least you won't need a gym membership anytime soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment