Friday, January 9, 2015

Wa'apa Build - Part 38 (leeboard and rudder part 2)

Continuing leeboard and rudder construction...


The foil template used for shaping the boards

I cut the blank into pieces for rudder and leeboard so I could work on each individually...easier.



Lots of planing and sanding carefully to get to shape...




All shaped it gets a layer of glass for strength...then repeat for the rudder


In between glassing and fill coats of epoxy work on the aluminum plate which attaches to outside of leeboard.




Leeboard attaches to hull with a 1/2 inch / 12mm bolt. I used a 1 inch bit to drill the hole oversized first.

Sealed one side with packing tape..

And poured in some lightly thickened epoxy. When cured I scrape/sand it flush, then drill the 1/2 inch / 12mm hole through that. This keeps the wood safe from wear and water ingress..

Boards after fill coats of epoxy..awaiting sanding and several coats of spar urethane..or paint.



Also received my rudder pintles/gudgeons...

Along with lots of line and other hardware I've been collecting to get the boat rigged....


That's about it for now...to be continued....

1 comment: