Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wa'apa Build - Part 16 (Gunwales & outer stems)

Progressing slowly...

Gunwales got beveled and stem ends rounded off...



Then roughly fitted and glued on timber for outer stem...


Once cured I planed, filed, and/or sanded the edges flush and fair with the hull sides. I then marked center line for visual reference while rounding.


Using a wood rasp I carefully started working the stem to shape, trying to work both side evenly.


Continued with rasp until everything was rounded and fair, then switched to 100 grit paper to smooth and finish it out.


Then of course I had to do it all over again for the other end...everything twice! ;)

I'll need some filler to fair inner & outer stems together at the top..and I may later decide to carry the rounding all the way up. But right now I'm happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment